The Basilica and Shrine are open for
|Chapel of Saint Peregrine, focal point of
the National Shrine of Saint Peregrine,
within Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica.
largest remaining instrument made by the Chicago
firm. The four-manual, fifty-seven-rank instrument
stands in large chambers behind two symmetrical
galleries at the sides of the chancel. The transept
openings are fitted with ironwork. The oak cases
show no visible pipework. On the left side are the
detached console, choir seats, and the Swell and
Choir divisions. On the right side are the Great and
The Lyon & Healy is tonally unaltered, although the
console has been changed twice. This organ gives
us an idea of company practice for instruments of a
grander scale --- for example, the long-discarded
organ at Orchestra Hall, Chicago, built in 1904.
The dedication recital took place March 30, 1902,
with Clarence Eddy at the console.
The Lyon & Healy was awarded a citation by the
Organ Historical Society, listing it as an historic
instrument worthy of preservation.
----From J.E. Ambrosino, OHS Organ Handbook, 2002
Furnished by Mary Gifford, Director of Music
at St. Mary Catholic Church in Des Plaines, Illinois.
Her recordings made on the Our Lady of Sorrows
organ include "The Lyon Roars" and "Catholic Heritage."
|Art Treasures of Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica National Shrine
|First Mass of St. Philip Benizi
Sanctuary mural by F. Giusti
|Sixth Sorrow of the Via Matris
Oil on canvas on nave pilaster
by Charles Bosseron Chambers
|Eucharistic miracle at the
Death of St. Juliana Falconieri
Sanctuary mural by Henry Balink
|Emblem of the Servants of Mary
Stained glass lunette over north door
|In the northwest chapel of the nave:
Replica of the Volto Santo, or
"Holy Face" Crucifix. The original,
believed to be miraculous, hangs in
the Cathedral of Lucca, Italy.
of Art Below
|Floor mosaics in the Pilgrimage
Chapels flanking the Nave
|Marble statue of Saint Joseph,
the spouse of Mary, holding
The Child Jesus.
His Chapel adjoins the Nave.
|Relief panel of the Annunciation,
modeled after a revered painting in
the Annunziata Basilica in Florence.
Part of the altar in the Chapel of
St. Juliana Falconieri.
& JOIN OUR
or light a VIGIL CANDLE
|If the parking lot or Basilica doors are locked DURING THE ABOVE TIMES,
the Basilica is STILL OPEN. Please ring the monastery doorbell
at 3121 W. Jackson Blvd. for entry through the monastery.
PLEASE NOTE THIS EXCEPTION: On major civic holidays, such as
4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, & Memorial
Day, THE BASILICA IS CLOSED ALL DAY, except during scheduled Masses.